Stock up on these following items
while the stores have too much
inventory left from the holidays!
It happens every year . . .
1. Fruit & Citrus: These items are usually heavily stocked, intended as holiday gifts. If you can't use them right away, citrus can be juiced, pureed or even frozen (most fruits can be frozen). Plan your menu around these items while they can be purchased for a fraction of their original price!
2. Baking Supplies: Look for discounts on flour, sugar, baking soda (which can also be used for your cleaning needs) . . . Basic staples are stocked in large quantities for holiday baking.
3. Pie Crusts & Phyllo Dough: Take advantage of discount prices . . . same as baking supplies! Grocery stores buy these items in bulk for holiday baking. Stock up! Don't forget you can freeze pies :)
4. Cookie Cutters & Icing Supplies: You will find inexpensive cookie cutters and icing tips at discount prices, although the inventory could be picked over . . . you never know!
5. Yogurts: We tend to make our resolutions to lose weight in January, so it is logical that yogurt and other assorted "healthy" items will be purchased in large quantities by the stores and sold at a discount. Just stick a popsicle stick in the top of yogurt you anticipate will not be used by the expiration date and pop them in the freezer for some handy healthy treats.
6. Sponges & Cleaning Supplies: You can count on deals for pricier specialized items like hand brooms or single sponges that might otherwise be over your budget.
7. Cookie Mix-Ins: Just when you made your resolution to lose weight, you will be tempted by the deep discounts on items like wrapped caramels, chocolate chips, marshmallows, chocolate bars, candies, nuts, dried fruits, sprinkles and other assorted cookie items for the next several weeks.
8. Winter Alcohol Packs: Beer, wine, hard liquors and gift sets are sold at reduced prices this time of year . . . stock up for that Super Bowl party!
9. Super Bowl Foods: Time for the start of the big push for party items like soda, chips, crackers and cheeses.
10. Festive Beverages & Mix-Ins: Be on the lookout for holiday items like gingerbread and peppermint teas, holiday coffee creamer and flavorings . . . big markdowns on these items this time of year!
Happy Frugal Shopping!